Sunday, September 7, 2008

My First Ever Four Hour "Blinner"

Last Sunday when my other two roommates arrived around 3 o'clock they ate dinner right away. That somewhat threw them off, but they thought that Claire (our host mom's name) wanted to be polite and offer them food after their long flight. This weekend dinner started at 12:30. I had only woken up 30 minutes before. Since this was the first time we had been able to sleep in we really wanted to take advantage of it and thought that dinner wouldn't start until at least 5. Instead Steve (Claire's English speaking son) came to let us know that food and champagne were waiting for us downstairs. Champagne? What were we celebrating? We scrambled to get some decent clothes on and brush our teeth then walked downstairs to a full spread of salad, champagne, wine, pomme frites, and two humongous plates of beef cubes ready to be cooked in vats of oil. The joke started out as "Wow I've never had fondue for breakfast before!", but then as we kept eating we realized this would be our breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Therefore, we coined this meal "blinner". 

Previous to this meal I had spoken with students at school about how they had gotten to know their families decently well, but with our hectic schedule I really hadn't seen Claire at all. That all changed after a full meal, two desserts, and two coffees. During this time we found that they love America, but not so much the bread, that they don't have Starbucks because coffee at cafes is so much more superior, and that it is okay to eat the dessert with your hands. 

Now it is 4 hours later and being the Americans that we are, we are getting ready to get out of the house for a while and find something to munch on. Goodness gracious I'm going to have to go on that run soon! 

1 comment:

Christy said...

Em, I am so jealous!! I really enjoy reading your blogs, feel like I am there! Drink some really good beer for me and some really good coffee! Oh and if you would find a really cute mid 30 something male, please bring home with you for me! :)

Christy